Thursday, October 28, 2010

I want an inaccurate Bible...

I've asked quite a few people what is their favourite Bible version and why. Never has anyone answered with this:

"I want an inaccurate Bible. One that tells me the true story some of the time, but makes the rest up."

Similarly, when I read the introductions to various Bible versions, they all claim (in word or in essence) that they are accurate to the original writings.

This is not surprising for literal (or Essentially Literal, or Formal Equivalent, or "word-for-word" whatever you like to call them) translations like the ESV. It's also true for functional equivalent (or meaning based etc) translations like the New Living Translation and Good News Bible. Even The Message, which some shun as being merely a paraphrase and not a real translation, makes similar claims (though not with the same words - of course not):

"So [Peterson] began to bring into English the rhythms and idioms of the original ancient Greek—writing straight out of the Greek text without looking at other English translations."

In some way, even Peterson in his very "free" translation, is trying to accurately reflect of the original Greek text.

So why this blog?

I'm interested in meaning, and types of meaning, and how this influences our translation style.

I'm not interested in throwing stones at various versions, or finding out which is "right". I want to ask the question "In which way is this Bible version good". How have the translators understood the concept of accuracy and how is that understanding reflected in their translation.

This blog is a documentation of my journey of discovery. Join me, won't you?


1 comment:

  1. I *have* an accurate translation. That is, the Anchor Bible" (as found only in the Anchor Bible Commentary series) give me a truly venerable translation.

    Of course, I also like Alter's version, but he didn't do but the Pentateuch, the Psalms and Song.

    ReplyDelete